One of the many privileges gays and lesbians are deprived of today is the right to legally marry. In fact, denying gays and lesbians the opportunity to marry is unconstitutional. “The US Supreme Court ruled in 1974’s Cleveland Board of Education v. LaFleur that the ‘freedom of personal choice in matters of marriage and family life is one of the liberties protected by the Due Process Clause’” (“Should Gay Marriage Be Legal?”). Therefore, preventing gays and lesbians from marrying contradicts the United States Constitution.
Despite the Supreme Court’s verdict, others will argue that gay mar...
... middle of paper ...
Same-Sex Parents with a Baby. Photograph. N.d. Section 04 and 05 F11 PSY 1001. University of Minnesota Blogs. Web. 13 Nov. 2013.
Thompson, William C., Jr., Gayle M. Horwitz, Eduardo Castell, and Marcia Van Wagner. Love Counts: The Economic Benefits of Marriage Equality for New York. Office of the New York City Comptroller, Office of Fiscal & Budget Studies, June 2007. Web. 4 Nov. 2013.
Two Women Get Married. Photograph. N.d. The Calvington Post. Duke University. Web. 13 Nov. 2013.
Vespa-Papaleo, J. Frank, Steven Goldstein, Stephen J. Hyland, Barbara G. Allen, AnnLynne Benson, Robert Brensenhan, Jr., Joseph A. Komosinki, Erin O'Leary, Charles Blustein Ortman, Melissa H. Raksa, Barbra Casbar Siperstein, Linda Schwimmer, and Kevin E. Taylor. Consequences of New Jersey's Civil Union Law. Rep. New Jersey Civil Union Review Commission, 10 Dec. 2008. Web. 5 Nov. 2013.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Legalization of Same-Sex Marriage: The Impact Same-Sex Marriage a legal union of two individuals of the same gender. From the Freedom to Marry campaign to TV shows like Modern Family, the movement to legalize same-sex marriage in America has risen over the years and continues to spark controversy. On the show Modern Family, Mitchel and Cameron play two married, gay fathers who adopt and raise Lily, a Vietnamese orphan. Like most actual father, they both dote on their daughter, push her to succeed and provide her with a happy home.... [tags: Same-sex marriage, Marriage, Homosexuality]
1023 words (2.9 pages)
- In recent years, issues such as abortion, legalizing marijuana, immigration and same-sex marriage have been widely debated. Specifically, same-sex marriage has been at the center of countless debates among politicians, ordinary citizens, and religious leaders. To clarify, same-sex marriage is between either two males or females. Individuals either oppose or support the legalization of same-sex marriage for both personal beliefs and laws currently in place. Those who oppose the legalization of same-sex marriage, consider marriage a sacred union between a man and a woman not between the same gender.... [tags: Same-sex marriage, Homosexuality, Marriage]
1268 words (3.6 pages)
- What is wrong with America. This is a nation built on the success of the children, and future generations. How can we say that when thousands of children are in foster care to this day. To confront this problem states must realize that adoption to homosexuals is a great opportunity, not by just giving children homes, but also allowing them to experience the lifestyle that same-sex patents present. In addition, the government has to realize that religion should not play a role in whether or not gays should be able to adopt as a couple.... [tags: gay studies, adoption, argumentative, persuasive]
1347 words (3.8 pages)
- Another choice of adoption is foster care adoption, Children in foster care can range in age from a few months to eighteen years old. Once the child is put in foster care the brith parents right are no longer valid. These children feel alone and have no one as family. Be understanding, "While many foster children are happy to have a home, they may not be so easy to please. Some will test your patience by acting up, being sad and/or shy. Don’t expect foster children to be extra grateful and obedient" (What Can You Learn From Your Response 4).... [tags: birth parents, international adoption]
1065 words (3 pages)
- The modern society of the United States has recently exhibited a rise in the numbers of single parent adoption. The most extreme increase lies in the Hollywood sector of social media that can be commonly observed on nationwide celebrity news channels such as TMZ, E-TV, and Access Hollywood. The big question brought forth to most tabloids and dinner tables across the country inquires whether or not these adoptions are morally acceptable and if the law should permit them. However, the government has already allowed this type of adoption.... [tags: parenthood, adoption system, family]
1152 words (3.3 pages)
- ... Despite who they lay with in bed at night. There are multiple reasons as to why gay adoption should be legalized. There is an abundance of children in the U.S. lacking a home and a family, that of which a gay couple could provide. Some states have legalized joint gay adoption, while others are still on the fence about it, and would rather not pass the law. A reason why those states should pass the law is, because of the foster care system. Many children, whether it’s a boy or girl, can jump to and from at least twenty homes before they turn 18.... [tags: Homosexuality, Sexual orientation, Adoption]
1260 words (3.6 pages)
- Every kid believes that a man and women should be together because that’s how they were raised. That’s the same thing I thought when I was a kid until my cousin started dating a woman. I was excited because I wasn’t the only lesbian in the family. I was so relieved that I told her about me liking girls and she completely understood me and didn’t judge me like some people would. She gave me advice on telling my parents, but when I built up the courage to do it, they disowned my cousin for liking the same-sex.... [tags: Same-sex marriage, Marriage, Homosexuality]
1102 words (3.1 pages)
- Russia’s Refusal to Allow American Adoption On July 3rd of 2013 the Huffington Post took to their pens and paper and announced that Putin had signed an adoption ban to any country that accepted same sex marriage, even if the couple trying to adopt was not same sex. Italy is the ONLY country in the world allowed to adopt children from Russia because they are the only country that bans same-sex marriage (Ford, par. 2). “In a combative news conference, Pavel Astakhov, the ombudsman, said he has been opposed to U.S.... [tags: life, putin, adoption ban]
1154 words (3.3 pages)
- ... People of all ages cannot believe they are nothing, we as people need to come together and fight for the LGBT to feel safe and secure with themselves. Loving someone can be out of your control. Somebody cannot force someone to be gay or straight people just know. Some say you are born gay; however, studies have shown over the years that you simply cannot be born gay. Will Smith once said, “If anybody can find someone to love them and to help them through this difficult thing that we call life, I support that in any shape of form.” Meaning no matter who people fall in love with, you should always support your loved ones or support someone who is finally happy.... [tags: Homosexuality, Same-sex marriage, Marriage]
1148 words (3.3 pages)
- On June 26, 2015, the US Supreme Court ruled that the US Constitution guarantees the right for same-sex couples to marry. Associate Justice Anthony Kennedy stated in the majority opinion: "The court now holds that same-sex couples may exercise the fundamental right to marry. No longer may this liberty be denied to them." Many conservatives are completely against gay marriage and they have stated that they will fight to have the Supreme Court ruling overturned. People against gay marriages say that it is not natural to be a homosexual.... [tags: Same Sex Marriage Essays]
1364 words (3.9 pages)